We plan to “turn up the volume and be heard”. We will do this by enhancing the signals that are all around us and sharing them while serving as a powerful voice to amplify the difference that music and the other arts provide in the total development of our young people and on society by building the most comprehensive, robust, social networking music parent website on the internet.
If you are reading this, hopefully you are on the site or will visit AMParents.org very soon. Please take a look around and give us your feedback. We fully realize that there is a great amount of work and content yet to be presented here and appreciate your understanding and grace as we build this from scratch. The great news is that the site is alive and able to be modified daily and hourly as we gather the latest and most pressing information. As we launch, I am asking YOU to do a few things today, right now in fact:
- Watch the short video that loads when you click on Video icon.
- Click on the Join the Conversation button and “Like” us on facebook and click the link to follow us on Twitter. If you are a member of Linkedin, send me a connection request at lscottmccormick.
- Click on the Become a Member box and join TODAY! This grassroots movement needs your voice, your action and your support. If you are a member of a Parent/Booster Organization, check to see if they have joined as a group first, or encourage your parent group officers to consider joining as an organization. While there is an option to become a fan of the organization, we really need you to Join us as a Member. It costs only $12 per household annually to do so, just $1 dollar a month!
- SHARE this site on your Facebook network and encourage your friends to visit and join today. There is also an organization Fan Page on Facebook where they can “Like” AMP as well. In order for us to grow and have success, we need this movement to spread virally through each of your networks. Please help me do that!
- Finally, upload content that you feel would be valuable to others in your situation, Ask a Question or answer one for the community and come back to the site often and engage.
I will be blogging on a more regular basis and we have some incredible additional contributors who will also be writing on a weekly basis; Marsha Mourdock from Marietta, Georgia and Rich Frazier from Phoenix, Arizona. And on occasion we will have a number of guest bloggers, all talking about the information that each of us needs to know. Our first guest blogger, DJ Corchin is featured below with an incredible post. If you like his style (like I do) visit the store and pick up a copy of his book, Band Nerds - Poetry from the 13th Chair Trombone Player.
The one thing that I have learned during my career is that none of our programs are safe forever. While we may believe that the budget concerns couldn’t possibly affect us, just when we get comfortable, they do affect us and by then, if we are not prepared, it could be too late.
Additionally for the parent who has a new 4th, 5th or 6th grade beginner at home or about to, there is so much information you need to know, which in most cases you are not hearing. This site and organization is for you and your child. You need to know what an incredible difference participation in music and the other arts, all the way through your child’s high school years, will provide them in their later years. Just ask one of the Fortune 1000 CEO’s in the corporate world what music did for them. 73%, nearly 3 out of 4 of them were involved in their school music programs.
Thank you for reading my blog, and in advance, thank you for joining AMP! You will not be sorry that you did!